Barnsley Animal Rescue Charity

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guinea pigs

2 posters

Go down

Guinea pigs Empty Guinea pigs

Post by tara Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:39 am

Hi, I am looking into getting 2 guinea pigs and would just like to know if you have any at the moment?

tara

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Guinea pigs Empty Re: Guinea pigs

Post by Tracey Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:30 pm

hi tara, we have two bonded boys in that will be neutered in a couple of weeks.there is a picture of them under the post heading 'here they are '. they are being fostered by 'drab' at the moment.they are about 5 months old now. no doubt she will see this post and give you a bit of info about their personalities.
thanks,tracey.

Tracey
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:59 pm

Yes and here I am!
The little Un's are called Pringle and Dorito (you can change these of course), they are well handled but can nip if you haven't got hold of them properly and they don't feel safe. Dorito the long haired one needs a quick brush everyday this used to be a battle but as he has it done every day he is quite happy to let you do this, if you miss a couple of times its ok but any longer and its scissor time. I do trim him occassionally just to make him more comfortable.
They are well adjusted little piggies, used to noisey kids running past them when they are out in the run, dogs barking and playing near them, they just carry on grazing and don't dart out of the way, although they would take time to settle into this comfort zone in a new place.
They share a hutch and are put out in a run on the grass for about 8 to 10 hrs a day, weather permitting, they eat a good quality Guinea pig muesli and a wide variety of fresh fruit and vegetables, they are a lot cuter now and i will be sad to see them go Crying or Very sad , they can squeak as loud as my lot when i come home and they hear the carrier bags with the shopping in rattle!!
Guinea pigs are a lovely pet to have (I have 7) they are easy to handle and do have personalities of there own but are always better in pairs or more providing same sexes are together or neutering has been done, i won't lecture on about irresponsible owners who continually let their piggies breed because they don't seperate them Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracey Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:13 am

thanks for the info on the boys. why would anyone want to change such sensible names Laughing Laughing

Tracey
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:47 am

hi, thankyou for the reply, the guinea pigs look adorable. While i'm here i would just like to ask about keeping them indoors, we are thinking of keeping them indoors in the winter and out in the summer, we will fence a little section of our garden off for them to exercise of course, but will they be ok in the house with us, i have a coal fire and sometimes it gets quite hot in here! I went to pets at home yesterday just to have a look at some they are lovely little things, i saw your posters on the walls there, the work you do is brilliant. I will have a think about the guinea pigs i want to make sure we can give them everything they need, and at the momement i'm just looking into getting some and wanted to know if you had some as i would prefer to rescue some than to buy them from a big store, thanks a lot for the reply's i will get back to you soon. Very Happy

tara

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:29 am

Tracey has a selection of indoor cages at a fraction of the price of pet stores, and she could advise you on the best size etc, unlike pet stores who just want to make a sale. Mine come in during the worst part of winter, bonfire night etc, and are quite happy to do so, it also keeps them very sociable hearing your voices although you will have to turn the telly up if your eating a packet of crisps or anything that rattles, as the squeeking can be deafening or maybe that's because i have 7 at it!
Because these two are used to being outside, i know that they are quite hardy but they havent done a winter yet because they are so young, so bringing them indoors would be a good idea.
Guinea pigs can get too warm, as they are quite warm little things anyway so perhaps you may need to think about where you'd put the cage.
On this section under Guinea pig run's is a picture of my hutches, i have a section of garden around the hutch fenced off and i just open the doors and put up ramps and my lot go in and out all day to their hearts content.
I'm working most of the weekend but will try to get an up to date picture of the boys on for you to see them now they're a bit bigger.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracey Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:15 am

Laughing oh julie you make me laugh. i've got this picture of all these 7 piggies squeeking while your'e sat eating your crisps Very Happy although i know what it was like when i had the two boys,their mum and dad and 4 sisters in my dining room. they even knew when we had opened the fridge door even when we had the kitchen door shut. Shocked

tara, its nice for piggies to be inside in the winter where possible, but once they are in you have to be carefull not to put them out for exercise till the weather warms up a bit and will need somewhere inside to exercise, as temperature changes can make them ill. guinea pigs are very amusing animals and its very nice to see that you are giving it good thought first unlike a lot of people who rush out to get pets just for the sake of it.

tracey.

Tracey
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:39 pm

When we got our first guinea pigs Tilly & Flossy all those years ago, we had a kids paddling pool that we used as an exercise run for indoors, it had high sides so they couldn't climb out was easy to put up and let down for storage, it was also easy to clean up little accidents, we could leave them in it for ages and they couldn't escape. They're cheap at the moment because everybody is selling off there summer stock, so its worth thinking about for indoor use. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracey Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:28 pm

ahhh thats a brilliant idea.

Tracey
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Female

Back to top Go down