Barnsley Animal Rescue Charity

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Milly has come home

+3
Anni Babe
Lizzie
Sarah Laycock
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Milly has come home - Page 2 Empty Re: Milly has come home

Post by Warley Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:25 am

It can be really frustrating. How about trying to break the training in the car down into little steps. Just walk her up to the car then walk away. Do this a couple of time or until she feels comfortable with this. Then try walking up to the car and opening the door, close the door again and walk away. Again repeat this until she is completely relaxed with it and treat her when she is good. Then progress a bit further by putting her in the car and then removing her straight away. Once she is ok with this, increase the amount of time spent in the car. If she starts to struggle or kick up a fuss just ignore her but if she is good and she will accept it give her a treat.

Also, you can try a DAP spray available from the vets or big pet shops which mimics a pheromone released by bitches which calms puppies down. You can spray the car seat with it and it might help to calm her down.

Im not too sure if this is of any help.

Karlie
Warley
Warley
Revered Contributor
Revered Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:28 am

Thank you, Karlie. You are the second person today to suggest this. I am going to try it.
Milly has been good today. A boy on a bike passed close to us without a murmur and a lady she has never met before offered her hand and she didn't growl; just sniffed it. Would you believe we were standing right by another friend's car, the engine was running, the car door was open and although Milly was not comfortable she did not try to pull away too much.
Do you think she is trying to give me a nervous breakdown?
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:10 am

it's good to see that your keeping your sense of humour, she's so far tried to suffocate you, blind you, pull out your back but your not responding to physical torture so now she's gone up a notch and is resorting to mental cruelty - the element of WHAT'S TODAY GOING TO BRING!
You know how my husband feels now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:37 am

Drab wrote:it's good to see that your keeping your sense of humour, she's so far tried to suffocate you, blind you, pull out your back but your not responding to physical torture so now she's gone up a notch and is resorting to mental cruelty - the element of WHAT'S TODAY GOING TO BRING!
You know how my husband feels now!

Well I've always had a peculiar sense of humour. Please give your husband my best wishes and tell him he has my sympathy!!

I've put a bit more news on my Blog and a photo of Milly in the snow.
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:00 am

I was very nervous about walking Milly yesterday morning but she behaved quite well. In the afternoon I mistimed going so we met all the children from the nearby Infants/Junior School. Milly created a Hell of a noise so we turned off our path and tried to avoid them.

Went quite well until we got further down the village and coming towards us I could see a lady with 5 or 6 small children. There was some rough ground so I guided Milly off the path. They were almost passed us when a boy ran from the group up onto the grass behind us. He wasn't too close and made no attempt to approach us, but it started Milly off.

As I was pulling her well away from the lad I heard the woman shout "Keep away from that f***ing dog". This is Grimethorpe!!!
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Warley Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:22 am

Ohh some people make you so mad! We have the same type of problem with Archie. He is an Akita and looks like a teddy bear but he hates strangers, especially children because they are eye level with him and he sees them as a threat. He is perfectly fine when walking down the street passing people but he will certainly not allow a stranger to just pet him (trait of the breed with that one). There have been occasions where kids have come running up to him and we have had to stop them - sometimes no adults in sight. If people just taught their kids not to run up to strange dogs it would be so much better. Ahh.....if only it was a perfect world! Rolling Eyes
Warley
Warley
Revered Contributor
Revered Contributor

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:00 am

Very true and if something did happen you would be at fault with the incompetent parents screaming blue murder.

It is ironic that when I moved here I had an elderly greyhound, Duke see My Website He had not an aggressive bone in his body, but being big the little children from the local school always asked me if they could pet him, which was good, but frequently there was no sign of a parent.

With Milly, I think they have got a bit of a shock that this cute looking dog growls and barks at them even when they are some distance a way. Thankfully none of them have come too close and where possible I try to avoid the school times.

She was in trouble this morning because she had made a puddle and two large messages (messages, more War and Peace). She quite literally lay low in her bed for some time. There was no point being sharp with her - she knew she had done a bad thing. Serves me right for boasting she had been clean in the house.
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Warley Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:05 am

Hi Richard,

Any update as to how Milly is doing this week?
Warley
Warley
Revered Contributor
Revered Contributor

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:20 am

Sorry I haven't updated this recently but I'm happy to report that my tranquilizers have kicked in and we are working well together now that I do what she tells me as soon as she barks.

Seriously, we have our ups and downs. Milly has been very good with the other dogs she has met, but she is very wary of men and noisy children so growls and barks at them. She pulls on the lead if I let her but has been good when the icy conditions made the paths slippy again. As everyone has said, I do have to show her that I am in control.

We've had a couple of accidents in the house which could have been avoided if she would make a noise when she needs to go out. I have got to try and work on that one. In the meantime, I have altered her eating habit.

The car is still the biggest problem. I have been taking her round to where my car is parked as we come back from our morning walk. Today she pulled towards that route and although she panicked when we got closer, it was a step in the right direction (Sorry - that is the most aweful pun).

Thanks for all your interest,
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm really glad that things are moving in the right direction, slowly but surely.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Laycock Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Just keep going Richard, small improvements are worth it and you will both get there eventually.
Sarah Laycock
Sarah Laycock
Gifted Contirbutor
Gifted Contirbutor

Female
Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Warley Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:29 am

Great stuff Richard you are doing well. If you ever need a male volunteer to be a victim and to help with training / desensitising her to men, then Im sure my boyfriend will be more than happy. Milly has seen him a couple of times before and he has taken her for a walk so it might not be as affective as if he were a total stranger. She did use to smile at him alot though and not in a good way Smile
Warley
Warley
Revered Contributor
Revered Contributor

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:13 am

Hi Warley,
Thanks for the offer of your boyfriend. That doesn't sound quite right!!!!!!
But having growled and barked at our priest, I think I need to sort this out with local people. Thankfully the priest is a dog lover with two lovely old rescue dogs called Joseph and Mary.
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Warley Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:23 pm

Well the offer is there - I did tell him about it and he is up for it, so if you do find you need the help then just shout. I know how hard it can be to find people that are willing to put themselves into that 'situation' in order to help a dog.

Archie our akita doesn't like strangers coming to the house so trying to find someone, who he doesn't know, willing to just pop round as bait (so to say) is a bit difficult. I'm currently taking a course in Canine Studies & Psychology as the whole subject fascinates me. Once this course is done I want to go into the subject of aggression to really understand what triggers it and hopefully help some dogs that may otherwise be put to sleep.
Warley
Warley
Revered Contributor
Revered Contributor

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:05 pm

Thank you to everyone for offers of help to evercome Milly's hangups. Things have improved slowly since my last post, although Milly definitely has good and bad days.

We have eventually managed to meet Janice Jackson this afternoon. The delay was caused by selfish idiots carving chunks out of the phone network so much of Grimethorpe has been without phones for about a week.

This lady is magic and has given me some training instructions - you have to be trained as well as your dog. The way she dealt with Milly and Milly's responses were amazing, and her explanations were so obvious that I hang my head in shame that I didn't think about them myself.

As we already know, Milly is a strong minded character and EVERY dog has to be taught that the owner is pack leader. The instruction is firm with rewards and has to be precise and consistent. Through this the dog learns that you, the pack leader, will protect (love and care) for him/her.

One visit has not sorted all the problems but the instructions I have will build the relationship that I need to move onto the next problems e.g. the car. We shall see Janice again in 4 weeks time and between now and then I must train Milly regularly.

I can heartily recommend Janice Jackson.

Back to top Go down

Post by milliemoo Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi,

im so glad you can see the light at the end of the tunnel Smile

could you private message or email me ( s_orwin@hotmail.co.uk) the contact and price details for janet please as i have a 5 year old staffordshire bull terrier cross called Millie lol and she is very picky which dogs she likes and which she does not so i would love the chance to get some advise to sort this issue out Smile

Sally
milliemoo
milliemoo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Laycock Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Thats very positive Richard. Hope all goes well xx
Sarah Laycock
Sarah Laycock
Gifted Contirbutor
Gifted Contirbutor

Female
Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Warley Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:30 am

Great Stuff. Im really pleased things are going well. It is hard work but it looks like you are doing a brill job so far.

Let us know how the next visit from Janice goes.
Warley
Warley
Revered Contributor
Revered Contributor

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by milliemoo Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:03 pm

Thanks for the contact details richard and i look forward to future updates Smile

Sally
milliemoo
milliemoo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:45 am

How are Milly and I getting on with the instructions from Janice Jackson? Have I made myself Packleader?

We are progressing. Milly is much better on the lead than she was. She walks quite well on the pavement on a slack lead. I have now started using the extending lead when we are in the park or the Dell. I would not risk this lead while she was so boisterous. They are very useful but have to be used with care and, because you have less feedback than with an ordinary lead, you have to be very watchful of your dog.

We are progressing. I walk ahead through doorways and gate; Milly follows. I have to remind her sometimes but she is getting better.

We are progressing most of the time. She will come when called, unless it is a really, really interesting smell then she needs a little flick of the lead to remind her. She will sit when told and stay......... for a microsecond. More work needed on these.

We are progressing sometimes. She will allow a couple of people, she has got to know, to touch her if she is in a good mood (possibly it is when there is a 'k' in the month).

Of course all this fails if there are children playing or someone comes too close.
Taken from my Blog

Back to top Go down

Post by Warley Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:57 am

Thats great news - keep up the good work Richard it seems to be paying off.

Keep us updated too I love hearing how she is getting on. Smile
Warley
Warley
Revered Contributor
Revered Contributor

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:12 am

Milly and I have taken quite enough space on here so this is just to let you all know that the second visit from Janice Jackson saw Milly in the back of my car!!!!!!! You can read the details on my blog http://www.richepix.blogspot.com/ and also see photos.

Milly is slowly improving. It is hard work and, at times, very frustrating. If any of Milly's friends would like to see her, please contact me through BARC.
Richard H

Back to top Go down

Post by Warley Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:33 am

Hi Richard,

Ive just read your blog and I must say congratulations and well done on the progress so far. On the picture she looks so happy. Im really pleased she has managed to find a home where someone is willing to put in the hard work to help her out and overcome her fears.

I think you deserve a big pat on the back Smile
Warley
Warley
Revered Contributor
Revered Contributor

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:27 am

Thank you for your kind comments.
Very Happy Milly got in the back of the car this morning. Needed a lot of encouragement and firmness but she did it. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:56 am

I am beaming for you Richard sunny i hope things go to plan and everything falls into place from now on. This is one rescue story that shows dedication, determination and an iron will - although i'm not sure if that's Milly or you! Wink

I will hopefully be popping over soon and then you can show me in person.........Milly getting in and out of the car! Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next