Barnsley Animal Rescue Charity

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Milly has come home

+3
Anni Babe
Lizzie
Sarah Laycock
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Milly has come home Empty Milly has come home

Post by Guest Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:38 pm

With the help of Julie and Matthew we got Milly to my home in Grimethorpe.
She was excited and looking into everything in the house and the garden.
Those of you who know her will be surprised and pleased that she met about 6 new people and did not growl or bare her teeth at any of them Shocked . She even allowed a couple to stroke her - has someone swopped her with an identical twin?
She has settled down very well cheers
She looks very smart in her new collar and lead.
We'll see how we get on tonight and try the car tomorrow. Maybe this will be more than just a weekend visit Very Happy
Watch this space

Thanks to everyone for all the help you have given us,
Richard

Back to top Go down

Milly has come home Empty Re: Milly has come home

Post by Sarah Laycock Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:03 pm

Wow Richard that is fantastic news, Im so pleased for Milly Very Happy
Sarah Laycock
Sarah Laycock
Gifted Contirbutor
Gifted Contirbutor

Female
Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:46 am

Thank you, Sarah.
I had stopped Milly going upstairs during the day and she appeared to be quite happy to sleep downstairs on her bed last night. The only interruption during the night was from me (problems of old age). I let her out, just in case, and the night passed peacefully.
She has growled at a couple of people and at a couple of bouncy Jack Russells that were running in the Dell this morning, but in both cases she settled down and was happy with them.
At the moment she is curled up on her bed snoring gently.
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:53 am

That's great news Richard!
Remember to come down and see us when you can.
Liz

Lizzie

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Milly has come home Empty Thank you

Post by Guest Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:29 am

Thank you, Lizzie.
We still have to solve the car problem but we will come down when we can.
I hope I've loaded some photos. They are not very good - she is always on the move.
I've put some more info on my Blog http://www.richepix.blogspot.com/

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:49 am

To followers of the forum i will fill in a few gaps, Milly was a dog that liked who she liked and that was that! if you tried to stroke her without being properly introduced - she'd have ya! if you approached her kennel gate and spoke to her - she'd have ya! if you poked a finger in - oh yes she'd have ya! if you had something she wanted then she would tolerate you - then she'd have ya!
Richard first met Milly last summer on a visit to the kennels not long after she had been returned to us due to her unpredictability, she was grumpy and sad. A couple of months ago Richard saw Milly was still on the web site and enquired about her, i explained in detail all Milly's little hang ups but also her good points she has got some, she is very loving and loves a cuddle - providing she likes you, and she loves to play.
Richard came to see Milly and we set out a plan of action, first he just spent time around Milly in the office where she took treats from him and miraculously brought Richard a toy to play with her - we were all stunned at this Shocked
After a few sessions like this Richard progressed to walking Milly and it wasn't long before she actually was quite pleased to see Richard, displaying behaviour shown to only a few kennel staff!
Richard has worked with the dog walkers getting Milly in and out of the car, taking her on short trips in a bid to conquer her fears, i don't think it will be long before Milly is fine the trick is just finding a way that suits her highness!
I went with Richard and my son Matthew to take Milly home to Richards yesterday, Milly fitted straight in and fingers crossed she will behave she had a big comfy bed waiting for her, plenty of toys and her new collar, lead and name tag.
Whilst this all goes to prove that there is a home out there for everyone i feel i must mention Richards dedication to Milly, his determination to overcome the bad days when she was naughty on a walk, his patience with her and his love for her. Richard has been working with Milly for around 6 weeks coming to the kennels almost daily to build up that special bond which was so obvious for me yesterday, she had no anxiety or stress at being in a strange house because she knew she was safe and had nothing to fear with Richard.
Richard has also become such a regular at the kennels we hope that he will continue to come and walk the dogs for us, as he has helped out by walking others - after Milly has had her walk and much to her disgust!
Thank you Richard for giving Milly the chance of a new life in a loving home and a man of her own to bully!! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:06 am

Thank you, Julie, for your very kind words. I will have to get the builders in to widen the doors here so I can get my head through.

She loves attention. She loves to play. I have to call a halt so that I can get my breath back. She will stop if you are firm and curls up on her bed or, if I am at the computer like now, on my easy chair next to the computer. She is not allowed on there anyother time and she accepts that.

When Milly and I have got ourselves organised then I will come across to BARC and give a hand.

As for her bullying me - I'm a poor helpless male, so I expect that!!!!!
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anni Babe Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:01 am

Well done to everyone! A happy ending! Very Happy

Anni Babe x

Anni Babe

Female
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:25 am

Hi Richard.

Wow, that's a very heartwarming blog you are writing.

You are an inspiration to anyone wanting to adopt a rescue dog.

Millie, Dinah and Buckthorn Duke are and have been very lucky dogs to have found someone like you.
Liz x

Lizzie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:30 am

Thank you, Liz. I love your icon. What is his/her name.
You are very kind but as you know these dogs all give us so much in return.
All three of my previous dogs, (Penny, Dinah and Duke - all on the Blog) were rescue dogs and all had problems that had to be overcome or worked around. As far as I am concerned they were all worth the extra effort.
I haven't always succeeded - a wonderful greyhound called Indie was too much for me and I had to take him back. He was young and boisterous and was aggravating a back problem I have, so rather than let things get too settled and then have to take him back, I made a decision early on. I consider this my worst failure but his wellbeing and stability was my main aim. He has a good home now with younger people.

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:37 am

Anni Babe wrote:Well done to everyone! A happy ending! Very Happy

Anni Babe x

Exactly, Anni Babe, it is a team effort. Everyone at BARC with volunteers and Milly, herself - all working to give these pets another chance of stability and love.

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Warley Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:11 am

Im so pleased to hear Milly has found a home. Well done Richard and keep us posted on her progress

Very Happy
Warley
Warley
Revered Contributor
Revered Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:19 am

Thank you,Warley. That is one laid back kitten in your icon.
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by andi067 Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:58 am

Made me cry that,im so pleased the brat lol! has such a lovely daddy,sorry richard for namecalling ur dog lol! milly been one ov mi girls for over a year,im so happy she`s finally got a new home,ANDREA xx

andi067

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:21 am

Hi Andrea, Thanks for your comment.
Fancy calling Milly the brat - it's just that the lady can be a bitch at times, Wink .
Thanks for all your help,
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:27 am

Hi Richard,
Hope you and Milly are getting on nicely.
My little one is called Nela, she's 5 years old.
Here is another piccy of her in the snow (that's if I manage to upload the photo correctly)
Take care,
Liz
Milly has come home IMG_1580

Lizzie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:35 am

Quite a day.
Milly has found a way to sit on my lap without suffocating me or making me wonder who has turned out all the lights cheers
A neighbour visited us and, although she growled a bit, she took him one of her toys Surprised However while we sat talking she jumped on my lap and if he leant forward she growled (protecting me?) cheers
I managed to get her into the car Shocked She was not happy but we sat for a couple of minutes and she got a treat cheers

She seems quite happy on her bed which is a dog mattress and stays downstairs at night. She curls up on it; she attacks it and shakes it; and she ... How can I put this delicately? Let me just say that if she was a he, I would not be surprised Embarassed .

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:42 am

Hi Liz,
The picture is superb and Nela looks wonderful. I like her smart coat - May I ask where you got that?

I tried loading some pictures of Milly into a gallery here but that didn't seem to work. So I have just loaded them on my Blog http://www.richepix.blogspot.com/

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:46 pm

A hemmm Richard, whatever happened to the little chat about being firm with Milly????
The rules and the boundries?????
It has took her exactly 4 days to wrap you around her paw, have you started making her a cup of tea on a morning with a custard cream to dip?

Good to see slight progress was made with the car today, small steps lead to big changes - think of all the petrol your saving!

The encounter with your visitor was actually quite good for Milly, i do think however that your deluding yourself on the protecting bit, you were just far more comfortable than the floor and she growled because she didn't want evicting!

I am so pleased at how it's all going, she does sound to be settling in well and you don't sound too exhausted yet............can i take her name off the kennel gate yet?????

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:16 am

Oh! I'm exhausted but Milly needs a home and I'll do the best I can for her. Let us see how we get on through the rest of the week before I decide whether I can cope.
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:36 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
Today Milly has been fine in the house and I have left her without her doing any damage but out on her walk she has been a horror Mad .
A second attempt today to get her in the car was also a disaster. She was so stressed she would not even take a treat Sad .
Not a good day.
Richard Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:44 am

I think the saying 'Never a dull moment' springs to mind! Shocked

I think you may need to toughen up big guy - she's laughing at you!!!!! Suspect

As long as you realise that when you reach the end of your tether, you can't take any more, that she'll be as good as gold, sweet as an angel and your bestest most faithful friend that you'll wonder how you could ever doubt her............. Don't be fooled she's just a scheming female like the rest of us!! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Warley Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:00 pm

Hi Richard

She sounds like she is testing your boundaries. Don't be disheartened by it - like Julie says be firm, show her who’s boss and she will follow....eventually. I have read that females can be sometimes more stubborn than males. Males will see how far they can get and if it doesn't work give it up as a bad job. Females on the other hand will see how far they can get and if it doesn't work today they will try again tomorrow Wink

If the training isn't working today don't worry about it - try again tomorrow. Put it down to just being an off day. Look how far she has come already in such a short time. What treats are you using with the training for the car? It might be that they need to be something really really nice that make it worth while. Cocktails sausages are the favourite in our house and if you warm them slightly in the microwave it gives them that bit of an edge.

Good luck and keep us posted Smile
Warley
Warley
Revered Contributor
Revered Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Benson Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:05 am

THIS IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT!

Thank you and well done to aall concerned!!!!!

Very Happy
Sean Benson
Sean Benson
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 541

http://www.barnsleyanimalrescue.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:03 am

Milly has been quite good over the last two days. She growls and bares her teeth at some people (I'd probably do the same with one or two), but if I tell her off and then continue to talk to the people she will often settle down.

She has been very good with one or two dogs and I'm fairly happy for her to get close to them. Mostly, if they don't come near her she ignores them.

She attacks the letters through the letterbox so I have to be quick when they arrive. She cannot get at them when I go out.

But the car is just as bad if not worse. She pulls on the lead to get passed any car parked near the house. I managed to get her in the car again today but she was pulling hard to get out and is in too much of a state to take any treats. I fear this may put my back out.

This is the one thing that really worries me. Apart from preventing us visiting great country walks around here (Brockadale is a personal favourite brockadale meadow), what do I do when I need to take her to the vet?
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next