Barnsley Animal Rescue Charity

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charlie's Not so Happy New Year

4 posters

Go down

Charlie's Not so Happy New Year Empty Charlie's Not so Happy New Year

Post by Anni Babe Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:53 pm

To cut a long story short, Charlie (and Billy Whizz - the whippet) were bitten on New Years Eve afternoon by an off lead staffy (please note I am definitely NOT anti staffy! - Charlie is a whippety/staffy cross with EPI (his pancreas does not produce the enzyme's needed to digest his food so requires constant medication on all his food) and consequently an almost non existent immune system)

Both dogs had their coats on. Billy's coat saved him as it tore and he was just grazed but Charlie faired much worse. He had 2 puncture wounds under his right shoulder. However, the wounds seemed clean and Charlie walked home and seemed OK. We went out NY eve but when we came in my son said Charlie had been crying, would not go out and could not stand or walk properly. He had a swelling the size of an egg underneath the top puncture wound. He slept in bed with me all night and never moved, he was obviously not well. We had a trip to the Emergency Vet in Sheffield on NY Day morning and spent the next 3 days with a very poorly dog. On the 2nd day the swelling had trippled in size and had dropped beneath his rib cage. On Sunday night the swelling burst like a scene from a horror film. There was blood spurting out all over. However, this eased his discomfort and he did start to perk up. He's since had more painkiller and antibiotics and another burst. The vet burst it again today but confirmed that the infection seemed to have cleared up but the exit wound may take another 10 days or so to heal but I will have to keep draining! Poor Charlie Chuckle.

GOOD NEWS THOUGH - HE'S PLAYING WITH HIS TOYS AGAIN NOW!! Very Happy
However if is not impressed with the lampshade around his neck, especially as it acts as his own personal snow plough in this weather - however it is handy for catching crumbs in!

Anni Babe x

Anni Babe

Female
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-04-17

Back to top Go down

Charlie's Not so Happy New Year Empty Re: Charlie's Not so Happy New Year

Post by Warley Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:29 am

Ohh poor Charlie. That is the only problem with bites from dogs and cats - they are more than likely going to get infected even in a healthy animal. Glad to hear he is getting better Smile
Warley
Warley
Revered Contributor
Revered Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:45 am

poor lad ....that sounds awful Sad

Angie

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Laycock Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:05 am

Hope Charlie was ok at the vets today, let us know how hes doing.

Has your new guest arrived?
Sarah Laycock
Sarah Laycock
Gifted Contirbutor
Gifted Contirbutor

Female
Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Anni Babe Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:27 pm

Charlie was squeezed and drained (again!) - he was so brave and he never muffed - which obviously deserved lots of kisses n nuzzles n things! Got to go back if it fills again. He's still not impressed with his lampshade....

Norman came for his visit...... he moves in on Thursday tea time!

Oh is he gorgeous!!! Mick says he didn't realise we were getting a donkey! Norman is the biggest greyhound I have ever met - but oh is he handsome, n sweet, n oooh sooo lovely!!

Norman and Billy were llike mini mes (? is that how you spell it - I have been partaking in a little alco stuff!)) but Norman and Charlie had a couple of spats but I'm sure things will be fine - I feel sure Charlie's lampshade/satelite dish was off putting for everyone!

Will keep everyone posted - and also try to post piccis of furry ones at this end (not Mick [!] ...)

Very Happy

Anni Babe X

Anni Babe

Female
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down