Barnsley Animal Rescue Charity

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

House rabbits wanted

4 posters

Go down

House rabbits wanted Empty House rabbits wanted

Post by Lucy Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:24 pm

Hello everyone,

I have literally just stumbled upon this website and it might just be the place I'm looking for!

I am looking to adopt 2 (or 3 depending on size) house rabbits, preferably younger so they can be litter trained etc. I have no preference over sex, just that they are neutered.

I have just been let down by the Hull Animal Welfare Trust - I had found their site, drove over to Hull to see the animals, assured that the distance wasn't a problem, spent money on an indoor hutch (which they said was more than big enough), food (specific to their rabbits), carry case, toys, cable tidies etc etc. I've had the home visit which was fine and was all set to pick them up on Friday when a call comes out of the blue tonight to say that as we live over 30 miles from Hull, we can no longer adopt!!

Am very disappointed, but still determind to rescue rather than going to a pet shop.

Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks in advance.
Lucy
(Hillsborough, Sheffield)

Lucy

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

House rabbits wanted Empty Re: House rabbits wanted

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi Lucy welcome to the forum for starters, our Bunny girls Angela and Tracey will help you all they can, if you go to the main web page you will find the numbers to ring or the e mail address to contact them on, although i'm sure they will post a reply later on this evening.
We have re-homed animals all over the country only recently a poorly bunny was sent to a special home in Scotland!! i think you'll find that's over 30 miles away.
Keep us posted! House rabbits wanted 594187

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Benson Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi Lucy

try ...........

Rabbit & Guinnea Pig Rescue - Angela & Tracey

Telephone - 01226 741002 (07769 684058)

Email - rabbits@barnsleyanimalrescue.org.uk
Sean Benson
Sean Benson
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-02-29

http://www.barnsleyanimalrescue.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:06 am

Thanks very much for the responses....bad news though I'm afraid.

Just had a quick chat with Angela and it seems my indoor hutch is not quite large enough. This is so frustrating as I specifically took the details and dimensions to the Hull Trust to get the all clear before I spent any money on it!! (Dimensions are 1364 x 535 x 980mm)

I suppose this now either means I have to buy another, larger hutch or buy a smaller breed of rabbit to fit the hutch and that will probably mean going to breeder than than a rescue place - exactly what I didn't want!!

Sad

Lucy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:39 am

Panic over!!

Hull have just called to say that as we had gotton so far along in the process they will relax the rules for us and we can collect the bunnies tomorrow!!

Lucy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:28 pm

Pop back and let us know how they're getting on, and post a picture if you can!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Benson Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:19 am

Quite right Drabs, we are an excellent local rescource for all domesticated animals and plenty of events to boot. Kepp in touch, perhaps we can help each other out in the future.
Sean Benson
Sean Benson
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 541

http://www.barnsleyanimalrescue.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi Lucy ...

im realy sorry i had to turn you down on the size of your hutch . Neutral ..all rescues have different ideas on what is suitable and what is not .
im realy pleased you are going to get your original buns after all and i hope you will come on here again .
id love to see pics Very Happy

Angie x

Angie

Number of posts : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:23 am

Hello,

Of course I'll keep in touch and will try to get some photos this weekend (if I can get them to keep still!).

You were absolutely right about the hutch size - as soon as they went in I felt that it wasn't quite spacious enough, so I'm going to put a extra run around it so they have outside space too. I am attempting litter training today and just letting them have the run of the dining room to start with to get used to the place and to me!!

hopefully they will settle in quickly Smile

Lucy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:28 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to update you all on how little Wolf and Baby are getting along. They were really timid at first and took a long time to become brave with us.

Although I did expect it, they have chewed the house up - sofas, skirting boards, books, their hutch. We have given them so many toys, boxes, branches etc but they just seem to prefer furniture! We have decided that as the nice weather is approaching, to move them outside into a really big hutch so they have plenty of room to run around even when we're at work. I ordered the biggest hutch I could find and it should arrive any day.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_hutches/natura/53359

I think we're going to get some harnesses aswell so they can roam round the grass in the nice weather (I'd always be there on 'cat patrol' as I have to do that when my chickens are out anyway!)

If anyone has any ideas of exciting or fun things to put into the Rabbit Mansion I'd be grateful to hear your suggestions! (and also if you like the mansion!)

I do intend to put some piccies on here soon - i'm just not very good at that technical stuff Smile

Lucy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Whoa is that 5 star accomodation or what!!!
Well i think little wolf and baby will be very happy in that. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracey Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:21 pm

in the run part you could put in some cardboard boxes full of shredded paper, mine love to dig in these and pull the cardboard to pieces Very Happy a bit messy sometimes but lots of fun.

Tracey
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:22 am

Bbay bunnies = trouble ... albino

im sure they will love it outside and you can still bring them in for cuddles ... Very Happy

i have been very lucky with my house bbun ...he s nevver done much damage ...except peeing on my carpet behind the telly Rolling Eyes

Angie

Number of posts : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down