Barnsley Animal Rescue Charity

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats Happened to BARC

+3
carolpemberton
louiset
matthewmorgan
7 posters

Go down

Whats Happened to BARC Empty Whats Happened to BARC

Post by matthewmorgan Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:47 am

Hello...I have always been an occasional visitor to BARC and the last time I was at the kennels I was very saddened to see alot of the dogs that have been there a long time, such as Millie Bonnie Tag Chunk Tia snitch and poor MAC who has been there a very long time! Whats happening to BARC???
The dogs look totally fed up and Im not surprised! why are they still there?? who is rehoming these animals? I was also told that you no longer rescue Staffy types, I CANNOT believe this as we all know these types of dogs are the ones who are getting put to sleep every day! There was alot of empty kennels! WHY?? what sort of rescue has BARC become!! I was very upset to see poor MAC still there, and the rest who have been there over a year at least.... I think its time BARC started doing there job of Rehoming the animals because to the public it doesn't look like your doing a very good job!
WHY does BARC no longer rescue Staffys?? Why hasn't the website photos been updated in at least 6 months?? Poor dogs is all I can say!!
Please do not delete this but answer the questions! Myself and alot of other members of this forum are interested to know what is going on!

matthewmorgan

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-08-25

Back to top Go down

Whats Happened to BARC Empty Re: Whats Happened to BARC

Post by louiset Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:51 am

I have heard whats happened to Jess its such a shame ,Just my opinion but Jess was a hard worker who stuck the job out regardless what was thrown at her , not nice that Jess as lost her job ,Good luck Jess at finding a new job Smile

louiset

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by carolpemberton Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:51 am

I just heard about Jess too, Awww its sad because she loved her job and loved the animals, Not Nice I agree, BARC has lost alot of great staff this year!!
Good Luck Jess.... Smile
carolpemberton
carolpemberton

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Max Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:42 am

Yes it is such a shame that another member of staff has gone from BARC, and yes Jess did love the job and the animals.

I was interested to read the previous message from Matthew Morgan ,he states there are a lot of empty kennels, if this is the case i also wonder why. I would have thought that a rescue centre would want to rescue has many dogs as possible from the dog pounds before they are put to sleep.

He also says BARC no longer rescues staffy type dogs, i accept a rescue centre needs a cross section of dogs , not everyone wants staffys, BUT if there are empty kennels why not try at least to rescue a few staffy type dogs from death row..................

Max

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmykebab Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:53 am

Hi,

I’m new to this forum, but not to BARC. For the past year I’ve been working with the executive team to improve our position in light of the financial hardships the charity sector as a whole has been experiencing.

Firstly, from my part I’ve been working on developing the website and online presence, which is finally going to be turned around next month. We are working to change a lot of the processes, so we can run more effectively. If you’ve ever been involved in managing organisational change this is a mammoth task. But the key criteria is financial stability, and we’re getting there.

But that’s not what we’re here for.

We’re here to make sure every animal has a safe, loving and happy home. That means increasing the amount of adoptions from our kennel, rescuing more animals from being put to sleep, promoting neutering and microchipping, reducing the amount of breeders, and providing education in terms of animal welfare.

As for staffies, there’s a massive problem with staffies and other bull terriers across the UK. When was the last time you saw young men with staffies, a while ago? That’s because they’re all in kennels. There’s a fundamental problem with the way some people see animals. Dispensable? They’re not. We have a responsibility for their entire life.

So that said, why aren’t we rescuing more staffies? Because we can’t afford to fill the kennels up, no rescue charity can. I had the same conversation with Barnsley District on Sunday. We are however working with the animals we have in to rehabilitate them, and we will find them homes. Some other charities have started to send the animals back to the pound, we won’t. We have always said: we never put an animal down unless it is suffering terribly. Some rescues say ‘we never put a healthy animal down’ – but what constitutes as unhealthy? A cold?

I don’t think our kennels are empty. I know we have filled the quarantine areas at the moment, so there’s a good chance we are waiting for dogs to be moved to the standard kennels before we can rescue any more. Also, don’t forget we rescue cats, rabbits, small mammals and wild animals too.

I hope that in the coming months you’ll see how we are working to tackle the problem, from the heart of the matter. If you’ve got any further questions, please feel free to email me jameshsmith[at]gmx.com

Thanks

Jamie

P.s. I write this message with utmost respect to all our supporters. Thank you for your kind support.

jimmykebab

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Whats Happened to BARC Empty Barc kennels

Post by Sean Benson Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:08 am

For years Barc gladly received dogs from anyone and everyone regardless of background. Last year we paid dearly for this stance with a an outbreak of disease which ultimately killed five puppies and rendered several other dogs severely Ill.

Since that time we have transformed the outer yard into an 'isolation' area where all new dogs have to spend the vet recommended time before joining the main block. Hence we have three spaces at the moment, which we will be filling with the three newly received dogs from the dog warden service.

There is no change on the staffy front. We still receive and rehome staffys although,clearly, we have to be realistic and select a cross section of animals to rehome, to give the Whats Happened to BARC 198847 possible selection.

Whilst it might be argued that staffys are one of the most neglected and abandoned animals at the moment, if we were to fill the kennels with them alone we would be doing a dis-service to our potential customers and all the other types of different breeds out there. We have simply set a percentile roof for the proportion of staffys we would like to see in at any one time. We are at that number now.

Those of you who know Barc also know that the dogs named above have had severe behavioural issues which is why they haven't moved on. Excellent work has been progressed with all of these animals and we are working very hard to promote their story and get them new loving homes.

So for this of you who find it hard to understand what is happening from afar, I hope this goes some way to explaining the intricacies of the current kennel operation and I hope you will invest some of your knowledge and energies into helping us, help our desperate animals get the loving homes they truly deserve.

I will be glad to answer any further concerns should anyone wish to ring me directly 07747466573.

Regards,

Sean.
Sean Benson
Sean Benson
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-02-29

http://www.barnsleyanimalrescue.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by alibongo Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:19 pm

I would just like to say well done to all of the dedicated people involved in the running of BARC whether that be as a volunteer or as a paid employee. It is often a thankless task, but I would like to say that I, for one, appreciate the dedication of you all, and the fact that all of you dedicate your time and effort into the charity makes you all better people than I am. Well done again, you are a credit to the animals you serve.

alibongo

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down