Barnsley Animal Rescue Charity

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bad doggy breath?

2 posters

Go down

bad doggy breath? Empty bad doggy breath?

Post by Guest Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:43 am

Any good products out there? or remedies?

Tried dentistix, soon as their gone, stinky breath again silent yuk

Back to top Go down

bad doggy breath? Empty Re: bad doggy breath?

Post by Westhall7 Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:58 am

Try a trip to vets for a dental inspection, I have just had my dog given a dental by my vet and hey presto no stinky breath and brilliant white teeth with no tartar on them. She keeps smiling at all the other dogs to show them how lovely her teeth are !! Very Happy

Westhall7
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-08-18

Back to top Go down

bad doggy breath? Empty doggy breath!!

Post by henry's mum Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:32 pm

hi,
It depends what the cause of doggy breath is. If its plaqued teeth, then regular brushing, or a trip for a scale and polish at the vets would help long term. Alternately there are many things you could try. As my youngest has allergies I bake my own treats, and adding Parsley or mint into the biscuit helps if its just the smell from the last meal. If the cause is (as in humans) due to a digestive problem, fennel, or charcoal biscuits could help. I also brush their teeth with a doggy toohpaste (humans is toxic) and use plaque off. Its a powdered seaweed extract, fed daily, and will help the body naturally get rid of the tar tar build up on their teeth. Ambers were only slightly gungy, but brushing wasn't removing it, and after a week or 2 of using this they are looking better.
It does take time, and isn't the cheapest, but if the teeth aren't bad enough for a dental visit to the vet, this could be a good option. My dogs will lick the plaque off up, raw from a dish they like it so much.
Also try changing type of food, if fed wet food breath is worse as the wet food clings more to the teeth. Dry food as well as being more nutritious (tins are 80% water!)are cheaper in the long run(feeding less to get same nutrition), but also the action of eating the dry biscuits scrapes some of the plaque build up off the teeth.
Any combination of these suggestions will work, depending upon how bad the teeth are. my 5 year old Henry still has bright white pearly teeth and other than wear you'd age him as about 1, and Ambers are still the same as a puppies cleanlinesswise. Teeth are the one thing I can control about my dogs health, and as many insurers are refusing to cover dental, if you aren't getting them checked regularly, or are feeding a wet food which is worse for teeth Mad , its worth keeping on top if them. Very Happy Very Happy
henry's mum
henry's mum

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

bad doggy breath? Empty Re: bad doggy breath?

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down