Barnsley Animal Rescue Charity

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fundraising matters!

+4
Sarah Laycock
Lisa
Jann
Sean Benson
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fundraising matters! - Page 2 Empty Re: Fundraising matters!

Post by Jann Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:01 am

Lol Drab ....... I will bear that in mind hee hee hee

Jann
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Benson Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:42 pm

loving the idea of trips to the BARC 'block' but im afraid there's still quite a bit of renovation work to be finished at present to permit it. I do think it would be a great educational experince though and one which we could try to foster in the not too distant future, once all the work is done. Summer/autumn maybe?

Jann if youre short of a broom Im sure Drubs will lend you one of her many spares that are currently in dock being serviced or MoT'd Fundraising matters! - Page 2 903709
Sean Benson
Sean Benson
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-02-29

http://www.barnsleyanimalrescue.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jann Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:11 am

affraid Mr Benson Sir! Laughing

Jann
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Benson Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:58 pm

Oh cummon dont tell me you didnt have a private little snigger.......
Sean Benson
Sean Benson
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:20 pm

Benson, Hammer, Nails, Gate post, Blow torch, Pokers. Ring any bells, no you wont be able to either! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Benson Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:29 am

Hi KittyKat and co,

I was just reading with interest an article on the web about primary school education and wondering how this may fit in with what we are trying to achieve. this is a straight lift.................Thoughts please........................... I do apprecaite this is not london and perhaps a lot of what is said in the report doesnt apply to our local schools however we could 'use' this report to our advantage??

Primary education 'is deficient'

The review wants to see a more flexible primary timetable
Children in England are getting a "deficient" primary education because schools are focusing too much on maths, English and testing, a Cambridge University report has said.

Their right to a broad curriculum is being "needlessly compromised" and their lives "impoverished" by the "standards agenda", the report claims.

The Cambridge Primary Review's interim report is part of the biggest inquiry into primary education for 40 years.

The government described the claims as "insulting" to children and teachers.

The report is the latest part of an independent review led by Cambridge University, looking at primary school education across England.

Their education, and to some degree their lives, are impoverished if they have received an education that is so fundamentally deficient

Professor Robin Alexander
Cambridge Review

It calls for an urgent debate about what primary education is for.

The report says inadequacies in the primary curriculum stem from a mistaken belief that breadth in the curriculum is incompatible with improved standards in the "basics" of maths, literacy and numeracy.

History, geography, science and the arts have been "squeezed out", it argues.

The report's authors suggest learning in primary schools is skewed towards subjects which are formally tested in the national tests, used to draw up league tables.

It calls testing "the elephant in the curriculum", noting that in Year 6 especially, the final year of primary school, "breadth competes with the much narrower scope of what is to be tested."

Professor Robin Alexander, director of the Cambridge Primary Review, said: "Our argument is that their [children's] education, and to some degree their lives, are impoverished if they have received an education that is so fundamentally deficient."

'Eight new domains'

The review suggests the primary curriculum should be "re-conceived" with 12 specific aims, which it arranges in three groups:

The needs and capacities of the individual: wellbeing; engagement; empowerment; autonomy
The individual in relation to others and the wider world: encouraging respect and reciprocity; promoting interdependence and sustainability; empowering local, national and global citizenship; celebrating culture and community
Learning, knowing and doing: knowing, understanding, exploring and making sense; fostering skill; exciting the imagination; enacting dialogue.
These aims would be achieved through eight "domains", rather than a small number of subjects.

The domains would be: arts and creativity; citizenship and ethics; faith and belief; language, oracy and literacy; mathematics; physical and emotional health; place and time (geography and history); science and technology.

blah blah blah - will this be an opening for us on an educational front?
Sean Benson
Sean Benson
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jann Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:06 am

I think the 'Physical and Emotional Health' domain could be utilised for the benefit of widening a childs capacity for learning through interaction with Animal Charities ... ...

ie .. Physical health aspect - we are told that obesity is becoming a grave issue in young children .... so ... encouraging excersize through helping out at a local animal sanctuary - walking dogs (as a school trip or on a 'one to one' when 'special needs' children are involved) or helping to keep the area free of litter (which will overlap into the domain in citizenship and ethics .... ) would be a perfect opportunity to include Animal Rescue in the Education system .... and to take it a step further .... a project involving and over weight rescue dog who is on a diet and taking more excersize to become healthier would be a direct way of allowing a child to experience empathy and to be empowered to learn to live a more active and healthy life .... a rescued pet that children can meet and walk .... and follow its progress ....

We can also look at the 'Emotional Health' aspect by showing children the benefits pets can bring to humans ... ie .... we could take children along to an elderly peoples home or a home for with a 'Pat' dog .... this again overlaps into citizenship and ethics and educationally teaches children about the wider community and about how some peoples lives are made so much better by being allowed to interact with animals... they would be given the incentive to work out what role animals have in the community in general - and specifically in areas where dogs are trained to help humans (guide dogs for the blind, hearing dogs for the deaf, etc) ....

Faith and Belief .... here we have a domain that gives us the perfect opportunity for discussion regarding the different beliefs and faiths of different cultures with regards to animals, their part in the community and the different ways in which they have been used over the centuries and right up to the present day ... ('place and time ie geography and history 'domain ... so we can show children how dogs first became mans friend .... where he has been placed in which parts of the world throughout history ....

The Arts and creativity domain can benefit from giving a child an incentive to be creative ... not only a project for drawing and painting the dogs they meet at a rescue centre, but actively encouraging a child to think about how a kenneled dogs life can be improved ... ie inventing toys or activities for a dog ... designing coats to keep an elderly or poorly dog warm ...

Science and technology domain can be used to show children the first dog on the moon .... or show how the army and police force use dogs to sniff out drugs and bombs .. and can be used to teach a child the basics of neutering - how having a medical procedure can prevent unwanted puppies and kittens ... and so back onto citizenship and ethics domain ..

I am sure I have missed lots of ways that the 8 domains can figure in Animal Rescue being included in the Education Curriculum ... any one else have any ideas?

Very Happy

Jann
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kittycat Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:31 am

Hi all
Ive just had a brief read of this report.
The whole curriculum pendulum is continuously swinging and it is now heading back toward to old"topic" based learning of 20-30 years ago via what is now being called key skills or creative curriculums. This isnt to say that basic literacy and numeracy skills are being squeezed out and by law we have to teach the beadth and balance of the National Curriculum. But the new primary frameworks for literacy and numeracy allow teachers more flexibility in how they teach. Especially for many of our children in Barnsley, learning needs to be "real". For example, I am in the middle of a topic on Space where I address pretty much every "subject" through the one topic. We have done reports and fact files on Planets, space poetry, science fiction writing, myths and ledgends based on Roman and Greek Gods of planets / space to cover New Framework literacy units, data handling in maths on sizes of planets, numbers of moons, distance from sun etc, art and DT, making scale versions of solar systems (also links to maths) space music, geography based on our own planet, space dance, ICT researching planets etc - the list is nearly endless. "Hook" their enthusiasm into the topic at the start, with a trip to National Space Centre or a visitor in school - planetarium etc and the rest follows - even with the most challenging children - it's about knowing your children, what captures their interest and personalising the curriculum towards them individually. That seems like a lot of hard work but there are SO many resources out there to support and if you work as a team with colleagues, children, parents and community, you can draw on each others knowledge, experience and areas of expertise and support each other.

That's just an example of how a "topic" can work - keep it broad and you can cover more.
A simple topic such as "Animals" would work brilliantly at all ages as it can be so easily differentiated to suit all children at any level.
Ive kind of waffled on there a bit - Ive just looked at my year overview planning and this year it's already pretty much set in stone till the end of July but I'm going to have a look at how we could build something like this into the next academic year and as we are trialling "Themes" at the moment could suggest this one as a whole school topic. At my previous school, we had been teaching to key skills through a thematic curriculum for two years so i know it works - Ofsted also were VERY positive about it too. A lot of schools across the country are also moving towards this type of curriculum. So I have some evidence to back my suggestions!!
Rather than the eight domains that are mentioned in the Cambridge report - there are 6 key skills and 6 areas of learning (these are based on Foundation Stage areas of learning - old reception age) Knowledge and Understanding of the World, Mathematical Development, Communication, Language and Literacy Development, Physical Development, Creative Development and Personal and Social Development. Quite Honestly, I don't think it matters what different names they call them and whether they are split into 6, 8 or however many areas, the main principles and developmental areas of learning will remain the same. And evidence is pointing towards the fact that older children also benefit from the "Foundation Stage" approach to learning.
The 6 key skills are:
Communication
Application of Number
Information and Communication Technology
Problem Solving
Improving Own Learning and Performance
Working with Others
Some are more geared towards a specific area of learning as you can see, but others can be applied across any of the areas.
Another aspect that I think is important to quality learning and teaching is to let the children lead their learning as much as possible (or let them think they are anyway!) and if they have owenrship of the direction that their learning is going, then they are more keen to activlely engage in the activities as they feel that they have chosen what to do rather that being told what to do. This is why it's change from teaching and learning to "learning and teaching" and that assessment for learning is vital. That is the day to day formative assessments that you make of the children through observations of them, listening to their responses, etc and adapting your teaching to meet their needs - there is a definite shift away from summative assessments and teaching to tests. But, yes, we have the Standards Agenda and we still have Key Stage SATs tests, league tables etc - but I won't get into that or you'll never shut me up!!!! I think you understand how I feel on that one!

Anyway - there are loads of possibilities!
Have gotta dash cuz Ive gotta go and get my car from the Inlaws garage! (and I need to change out of my PJ's!) Laughing It is Sunday after all - you can let me off!

Kit XXXX cat Fundraising matters! - Page 2 8396 cat

kittycat

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Benson Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:23 am

WOW you two! you make me feel thick!! NO SMART COMMENTS DRUBBLE!!!!!
Sean Benson
Sean Benson
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi, I was thinking about dog/kid safety aspects where there are some good resources on the Kennel Club website and the American KC as well.
Also, linking to jobs dogs do, eg RNIB, PAT, Sniffer, Police, Hearding, Agility etc etc. Well a couple of demo's could be great if poss. (Sadly Alfie is mad as a bucket of frogs and would put the cause back 10y. Er no, thats not a joke). At Crufts last year they got a RNIB do to take people through a course blindfolded - it was impresive!!
This might also also be a link to history how dogs helped form modern life) and science (hunting, sniffer abilities etc)
What about exploring selective breeding? Is that too advanced??
Regan was really fascinated about dog training when we had Kim over, that might be just her inheriting my saddo genes tough!!!
Take care. L.

Lisa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Benson Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:01 pm

Thanks Lisa,

Im sure we could organise for an extrernal agency to call in and do a bit of demo for us, but what I would really like to see is BARC driving the business and fitting that into our overall programme of education rather than ad-hoc invites etc.

Im sure there are lots of other things that would be really useful too but if we can just get an agreement in principle in one or two schools to start with, we can start to mould a better idea of what it is we are trying to achieve, which in turn will provide a broader and more robust foundation for the future.

Great ideas though! Keep em coming!!

Sean
Sean Benson
Sean Benson
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:09 am

You are right, thanks for bringing the discussion down to earth!. It's so interesting to think of lots of ideas and maybe we have got into brainstorming a bit and going on a tangent, but before we go rewriting the whole curriculum (!!!) as you say we do have to focus on the key points. Jann has such fab ideas and Kittycat has the kind of experience you couldn't buy. But I kind of think the key points (at least in my eyes) must be on understanding the responsibilities of pet ownership and perhaps something they could do to support BARC. I guess in school there would only be a short time to explore any one theme.

Lisa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Benson Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:56 am

Yes youre right there probabaly isnt going to be a great deal of time made available for this but I do love the holistic approach covering the history, working lives and domestic arrangements today. Perhaps the children could be given an intitial input then work on a theme within their subdivided class to come up with a story board, collage or even a play?

Ive no idea really but the thought entertains me! Over to the school teachers for guidance please!!!
Sean Benson
Sean Benson
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:17 pm

Tell ya what, all this is so above my head i'm getting neck ache trying to see it, so i'll just stick to taking Tortie the tortoise in, do the usual questions and answers thing (where i make things up if i don't know!) and look for the child with the most fear in it's face before thrusting Tortie at them and mentally scarring them for life Twisted Evil bet ya glad your kids don't go to school with mine!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Warley Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:03 am

I remember when I was in the infants (my god thats over 20yrs ago now -and I still don't think Ive matured that much since then Very Happy ) our class had 2 Guinea Pigs called Honey & Blackberry. Every day someone was chosen to clean them out and feed them. I remember being lucky enough one year to take them home over the 6 weeks holiday. Everyone use to fight to do it. Im not too sure if that would be an option in today's schools but just thought I would share that piece of information with everyone.
Warley
Warley
Revered Contributor
Revered Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Fundraising matters! - Page 2 Empty am i in the wrong job

Post by irene marsh Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi Sean, just read through all the messages and Ive just realised Im in the wrong job I found it all extremly interesting but wondered how our tiny set up fits in as you know Im passionate about BARC mainly our doggies and thier welfare the shops and everyone who works for BARC we are constantly getting our heads together to find venues to fund raise rob our shops for tombola prizes I thought we were doing a good job but I feel we are a very small cog in a huge wheel.I can see the possibilities of two sections for fundraising and will be very interested to see how it goes.The forum followers are so lovely so fired up to do something its great good luck to you all. x

irene marsh

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Benson Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:20 am

Good point Irene and one i think is all too easily forgotten by those closely involved. BARC is a hugely complex machine with many different facets to be considered and managed but the real beauty is that volunteers such as yourself form the mainstay of the grass-roots operation. (Thats not to disrepsect our employees of course as they do an excellent job too) but it always amazes me how kind, committed and passionate people can be when it comes to our 'mission'. Well done Irene and thanks to all you volunteers out there, we couldnt do it without you!

Special thanks also to,
Paul Bateman for the free webhosting this site is hosted on (http://www.w3dezign.co.uk/) and;
Michael Kimb Jones for the free upgrade of our, soon to be launched, website! (http://www.base6design.com/)

Wink

sean
Sean Benson
Sean Benson
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Laycock Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:45 pm

I have 2 ink cartridges to recycle and I know that a lot of charities offer this facility. Can we? Or does anyone know of any other rescue charity that does so I can pass them on.

Thanks
Sarah Laycock
Sarah Laycock
Gifted Contirbutor
Gifted Contirbutor

Female
Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Benson Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:59 pm

good point - I shall have to look into this unless someone else can give a shortcut to the correct answer!
Sean Benson
Sean Benson
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Benson Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:17 am

Good Luck to KittyKat who gets married any day now!!

CONGRATULATIONS!! Fundraising matters! - Page 2 129757

Hope we can progress this educational matter when you get back from Honeymoon.

What I'd like to do is have meeting with all those who have an interest in this type of thing and see how we can take some positive action from it.
Sean Benson
Sean Benson
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kittycat Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:47 am

Thanks Sean! Love the pic!! Had a great wedding thank you!. back down to earth with a bump and a very busy summer term with SATs tests for the children, a visit from our dear friend Ofsted and the other general hecticness of the summer term so I apologise for not being on recently.

I think a meeting is a great idea - get heads and ideas together. I have the next 7 weeks holiday (please don't call me slack!! I do do between 60 and 80 hours per week in term time!! and that's not kidding!!) but I will be in and out of school during the summer as we are, as I mentioned before redesigning out curriculum with a strong focus on community and business links / visits / trips etc. But Im more flexible over the next few weeks to get together.

I know it's a while since the last post but I too would love to see some positive steps forward from all this drive and determination that comes across from all involved.

Let me know if anyone is up for some strategic thinking!!!!!!!!!!

XXXXX cat

kittycat

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down

Fundraising matters! - Page 2 Empty Education

Post by Sean Benson Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:07 pm

Excellent to see you back! Glad you had a good wedding. Hope all is well now youre back down to earth with a bump.

In recent months we have seen dramatic changes across BARC in terms of the structure, staffing and way we do business so it is great that you are still interested in helping us out, particularly along a line that has previously gone unexplored.

I wouldnt dream of 'ribbing' you over your time off during the summer holidays, Ive never even met you. All that starts thereafter!!!! Wink

Seriously though, I work all sorts of wierd and wonderful shifts that seem to change at the drop of a hat, so just identify a time that suits you, give me a bit of notice and we'll get together for a chat.

Anyone else with a simialr interest in this line of work will also be made completely welcome, just make yourselves known!

The best way to get hold of me is by email - sean.benson@sky.com OR phone anytime on 077474 66573
Sean Benson
Sean Benson
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Fundraising matters! - Page 2 Empty fundraising ideas

Post by henry's mum Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:03 pm

hi!
I've not been on for a while due to my newest pup being a handfull, and fracturing my wrist pulling unexpectedly on the long line!! For a jackrussell X she's a huge 18.5KG and only 10months old!!

I was reading through the ideas and I don't know if this would be a good idea or not, but you could arrange a sort of after school group. Each week someone comes to 'teach' a new skill, such as knitting, crocheting, different crafts etc. As the 'teacher' is potentially different each week no-one (other than a designated overseer from school for legal reasons) is tied to every week, which means those of us who are exceptionally busy with puppies and dogs can still participate some weeks the teachers could take it others a 'guest' tutor comes in. It could be a 'club' and the kids pay a fee each week for the session, (say £1-£2 for a 1 hour class) which would be donated as the 'tutor' would donate their time and we could arrange to have any materials donated from forum members, parents, the school etc. Which for people like me struggling financially to cope is easier to do than those with free cash, and as every penny counts even if only 10 or so kids did the extra class, each week it would help raise funds, especially if the school allowed the class to take place on their premises so there were no overheads.

I also had the idea of teaching dog social skills. Its something my training center did. They taught children how to greet a dog, how to behave around dogs(not teasing them etc), and when to be wary and give a dog a wide birth. There's also the concept that a barking dog isn't neccessarily a threat (as we know many of the truly aggressive dogs don't warn!). My Henry is VERY freindly especially with kids (he plays gently with a 2 and 1 year old), but insists on barking for attention, which as he has a loud aggressive sounding bark, puts people off and can scare children who don't know he's just talking. If they understood more about why dogs bark they might still respect their space but not be as frightened. I used to be frightened of dogs as a kid and it took years to get over this. Now I know that a loud dog isn't neccessarily dangerous I'd be much more receptive to rehoming a loud/misunderstood dog in the future. The kids could learn a bit about dog body language which will help keep them safe and help when they grow up and become dog owners be more open minded to the 'problem' dogs who aren't aggressive but are unsure or loud, or don't show themselves well in kennels. The idea being not only raising funds now, but ensuring a more understanding next generation of dog owners, as many dog 'issues' are human caused which could prevent as many being given up due to problems, and help in the future to get the dogs usually left in kennels for years rehomed as they will be more open minded.
I'd be happy to help with ideas as I'm training (vis correspondance and volunteering)to be a dog behaviourist and already have the canine behaviour and psychology qualification so could relatively easily find information for the kids to use and possibly to take home. A sort of 'rough guide' to dogs.
I do many crafts and have found that many of the 'old' crafts I was taught as a child (I'm not ancient only 34) are almost obselete as kids would much rather watch tv or play on computers. It would also keep some of the older 'crafts' alive, as up until recently no-one wanted to knit. It only takes a few to revive old ways, but also new skills, or even if we who have skills make things for the kids to finish. for example I make wodden toys for my nephew and they could paint them up and either keep them or donate them to sell fot the rescue if we could get a timber yard to donate some off cuts of plywood or stuff they'd normally chuck in the skip we could make basic bird boxes and the kids could decorate them/ or even make that over a few weeks so they can 'finish off' tha assembly of the boxes then decorate them the next week. All it takes is imagination and thought to figure a way to make it work as a 'class'.
If you think its a good idea, I have lots of craft books that have ideas for things to make which could be used/copied for the clubs use.
Plus as the kids go home and 'show' parents it could get the parents involved with the rescue too, as they might not be aware of the rescue shops needing donations, and the rescue itself needing volunteers and funds.
There could also be an end of term 'gala' for the club where the last 'club' of every term has stalls with games (similar to the penny day I had at school where all games were manned by older kids and were 1p per go!) which could incorporate the other ideas I've read on the forum. there could be stalls with things to buy, such as buns/biscuits, and hand made things, some of which we could make, others the kids have made in club or at home and donated to sell for the dogs, or grown such as little veg plants or produce. I'd be more than happy to help with ideas, at the moment time is a problem having a boisterous puppy (who's having problems and needs vet visits pale ) but I might have the time even to take a few of the clubs for the skills others don't know (most people know how to knit, crochet and make cards and such nowadays).
If anyone is intersted and want to discuss ideas feel free to e-mail me at shill11@hotmail.co.uk
I hope this has helped someone in a better position than me to possibly implement a similar idea.
Sandra Laughing
henry's mum
henry's mum

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2