Barnsley Animal Rescue Charity

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog grroming - help!!!

3 posters

Go down

Dog grroming - help!!! Empty Dog grroming - help!!!

Post by Lisa Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:25 am

Have any of you guys studied grooming anywhere? I’d like to do a course to help me with Alfies crazy coat, plus the fact he hates being groomed and either runs away, yelps at the very sight of the comb and/or snaps at me. Now, I have not been mean or cruel to him but he does genuinely seem to have a sensitive skin, plus he was shaved off when he came to us because his coat had been in a state, so I guess that he didn’t have good early experiences.
Even taking him to the parlour isn’t the answer – one time they were great, the next time they just brushed over the top leaving all the shed hair to mat up in his undercoat. You can imagine – beardie fur isn’t the easiest but I love to see the long hair on them.
So if you guys know of some good training I can do I’d be grateful.

Lisa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Dog grroming - help!!! Empty Re: Dog grroming - help!!!

Post by Warley Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:14 am

Hi Lisa

The only one I have managed to find is this (link below) which seems to be really in depth and a bit expensive if your not going to start it as a business. If I hear anything though I'll let you know.
http://www.uk-open-learning.com/CartV3/Details.asp?ProductID=796&gclid=CNGPqYDWq5UCFQyN1Qod4GEljg

Some tips which ive heard about is giving treats as a reward each time you groom them. Also, putting him on a surface which is raised off the floor. This is suppose to make them feel a little bit insecure which in turn makes them stand still - not too sure how true that is and I know that trying to get a dog like Archie onto a higher surface would probably break our backs lol.

When I groom Archie we do it outside and make him put his paws on our garden step. I then stand behind him (In the mounting position) as a dominence thing. He does tend to stay still when I do this.

Finally, my mum used to take her Bichon Ollie to Kizzys Grooming Salon in Dalton. They are very good and I know that even though Ollie hates having a bath or being groomed, he loved to go there. The guy who use to pick him up was always given a great reception and off he went without giving us a second glance.
Warley
Warley
Revered Contributor
Revered Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Warley Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:18 am

Ive also found this one - bit cheaper. I can't seem to find any on the spot training in this area which is a shame cos I'd quite like to have a go.

http://www.opencollege.info/doggrooming.html
Warley
Warley
Revered Contributor
Revered Contributor

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:31 am

I also thought the idea of Alfie on a table was a bit impractical and as we don’t have space to keep a grooming table that would be the dining table which I don’t want him learning to jump onto!!! Personally I tend to ask him to lie down on his side and if he tries to escape gently push him back down. I was told if he gets too snappy muzzle him just because the important thing (she said) is to stay calm and quiet when grooming, ie that would be to stop me getting nervous. So far he’s not been that bad.

I found a part time evening course at Huddersfield but again it’s not that cheap, and part of it is about setting up a business which is not my plan. I am planning to call and find out more, at least it says it’s mainly practical and it’s the hands on bit I need to get more confident with.

Just a thought – as there seems nothing local, should I dig around and see if it’s possible to set something up, like a 1 day seminar maybe. I’m not sure if it’s a practical idea.

Lisa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Warley Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:12 am

Ive just had another Idea Lisa. Why not ring around a couple of local grooming salons and see if they can give you some tips or better still, let you visit them for a day. Its worth a try and will be a lot cheaper.
Warley
Warley
Revered Contributor
Revered Contributor

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:28 am

Sorry Lisa, i can't help either, I have Sam shaved off even though he's a Border collie because he can't cope with the heat, he has two coats, a top coat of long hair and his second thick coat to protect him when he's on the moor's with the sheep in the snow - ok back garden, with the guinea pigs in the rain!
Nancy has a quick trim around her neck because she gets a main that looks like she's swallowed an umberella when it stands out.
If it makes you feel any better my sister has the same problem with her Alfie, he doesn't shed hair, being part poodle he went to one parlour and was nasty so daren't take him back again, he's just been to another and they had to muzzle him, she takes him for a number 1 all over and then she keeps ontop of his coat with some shears she bought herself, which usually means i've got to body slam him and tempt him with treats while she does a rush job!

Back to top Go down

Dog grroming - help!!! Empty grooming class

Post by henry's mum Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:58 pm

hi, just joined, and would like to advise, that i take henry to My pet stop, Tingly for training, agility, flyball etc, and they have a training center (the animal care college hold some of their classes there) I do know that they do a dog owners grooming seminars occasionally, designed for those who want to learn how to groom their dogs properly but don't intent to use it as a career, i do not how hands on they are, as henry is a whippet cross therefore has a very short coat that requires minimal grooming. The prices aren't expensive though as i remember thinking at the time, that if i had got a long coated dog, i'd do that!

I think the web site is www.mypetstop.co.uk if not just google my pet stop.

They don't always have all their events on the web, so it is sometimes better to ring them, as if lots of people show an interest in a class, they try their best to set one up. Good luck, Laughing Idea
henry's mum
henry's mum

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum